CRAFTING 101

Hope everyone is having an awesome day preparing for the weekend ahead. In my last post, I said I would do a post for beginner crafters and here it is.

In crafting, you need a lot of patience and enthusiasm. Sometimes, you might put a lot of time and energy into something and it may not come out the way you expect it to. You have to ( in the words of Aaliyah) dust yourself off and try again. Those 'mistakes' might eventually turn out to be awesome works of art.

Here is a list of things you would need to start with...in no way exhaustive;
-Scissors
-Different colors of thread
-Needles and pins
-Glue; readily available in our local markets is UHU glue. As you progress, you might find that you would need a glue gun. For tougher projects, E-600 glue might be necessary. You can find it in stores that cater to people who make hats...I found mine in a 'bridal store'!

Glue gun
UHU glue, Assortment of embroidery thread and wool yarn

- Stapler; I started out with a regular office stapler then eventually got a staple gun. If you go to places where furniture is made or wood-work materials are sold (in Abuja; Kugbo), you would find staple guns
-Cellotape, masking tape
-Fabric!!! I can't over-emphasize how important this is. If I see a nice fabric anywhere, I buy it regardless of whether I have a project for it or not. And please,please, keep your scraps! Get any fabric you can find, from tulle to waterproof fabric.
-Paper; Scrap paper for cutting out patterns and decorative paper for anything else. Scrap book paper works best but is difficult to find here in Naija, so I just buy pretty gift-wrapping paper any time I see one
-Ribbon; I prefer working with grosgrain ribbon because they are thicker but any ribbon at all is fine.
-Paint; poster color, watercolor, acrylic, emulsion, gloss...whatever you can get

Well, as i said earlier this list is not in the least exhaustive but should get you on your way. As we go on, you would find things you would need to add to your collection. Many things, you already have!Trust me.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top