Upcycled Bottle Vases (Part 1)





Welcome back! Those who know me well know that I hardly throw anything away. I always feel I can make use of whatever might need to be thrown away to make something nice in the future. I still have broken earrings and such from 10 years ago. I don't know if this makes me a hoarder though...I definitely haven't gotten to Clean House level... I pray.
 So you can imagine my excitement when I started seeing the trend of reusing old bottles as vases popping up everywhere, everything imaginable being used to spruce them up. And of course I had to try my hand at making some of them.
 For this set of bottles, I used woolly yarn on one and embroidery thread on the other, attaching them on with UHU glue. I would have loved to use hot glue but at the time PHCN had done their thing and  I needed to get them done immediately.





I used one Vitamilk bottle and an old groundnut bottle. The groundnut bottle had a metal ring which I removed with a wire cutter.


 Attach the yarn as shown in the picture after spreading a liberal amount of glue at the top of the bottle.
 Keep winding the yarn around the bottle. You would find the motion pattern that works best for you. I was more comfortable spinning the bottle around the yarn.


Isn't that pretty? Who would have known?!Now start saving all those bottles.

Bottle 2:



 Using the same method described above, attach the thread to the bottle.


 Keep winding the thread round the bottle, taking care not to pull on the thread too tight especially at the slope of the bottle, if not you would end up bunching up the thread. Be liberal with glue when you are at the slopes too. If the slope of the bottle you are using is too sharp like this one was, you can flip the bottle and start winding from the bottom. When you get back to the slope, cut the thread and start winding a fresh one. This way, you are less likely to get frustrated when the thread bunches up because it would only be a short distance that would be messed up as opposed to an entire length of the bottle.

 Now sit back and admire your work.


CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top